Real closures

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 14:21:51 UTC 2006

2006/10/7, bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk>:
> Philippe Marschall writes:
>  > They are real in every Smalltalk but Squeak. That's why we have #fixTemps.
>
> There are two separate issues:
> 1) Why Anthony's VI4 work was rejected?

You may only ask if you don't fear the answer.

> 2) Why we haven't yet incorporated the new compiler work that Anthony
> did then Markus has been maintaining?

Because it's not a drop in replacement yet:
- Decompilation of blocks doesn't work yet.
- Doesn't work for DoIt's in the debugger
- Error messages are bad. There is only one error message: 'token not
excpected'. Mathieu is working on this.
- No bootstrapping, can't compile itself. Mathieu is working on this.
- ... (whatever I forgot)

Don't get me wrong it's really cool for research and if you want to
hack the compiler or language but has disadvantages in day to day
usage. However work is being done to close the gap.