Everything is a distributed object

Anthony G. Anton III agantoniii at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 7 20:42:22 UTC 2006

At 9:41 PM +0200 10/7/06, Martin Drautzburg wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've seen various attempts to add distributed computing capabilities on top of
>an existing language. For a true distributed system I would expect it to be
>possible to instantiate objects of a remote class or to subclass a remote
>class and other stuff like this. My impression is that those things are
>difficult when built on top of an existing language.
>
>Since the paradigm "everything is an object" pays so well, I thought it might
>be less painful to implement a distributed system from ground up, starting
>with the paradigm: "everything is a distributed object". Maybe languages like
>Erlang and E get close to this paradigm. Other than those I am not aware of
>any attempts to implement distributed computhing in this way (from ground
>up).
>
>Are you aware of any ?

Jini...no, it's not about networked toasters (that's a misconception
due to lame marketing by Sun).

     Jini
     <http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Interviews/waldo_qa.html>
     <http://java.sun.com/developer/products/jini/index.jsp>

     Javaspaces (a Jini service)

<http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/tools/JavaSpaces/index.html>

I would love to have a Smalltalk analog for Jini. For me that would
be a "killer tool" for distributed systems solutions.