History and thoughts about "how" we work on the image together

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 12:49:09 UTC 2006

--- goran at krampe.se wrote:
> I never said otherwise. I was talking about the
> easiness of the
> contribution. I am even writing an issue tracker for
> gods sake. ;)

I know Goran, I didn't mean the contrary!  Personnaly,
I think Mantis does a good job and is pretty easy to
use.  And I too am writing a bug tracker in
Smalltalk...  :)

> Eh... if you are talking about the 666 packages on
> SM - the release team
> has nothing to do with the external packages - that
> is up to the
> maintainers to move forward.

I know.  The 3.9 release had LOTS of stuff in it and
the release team did a great job but I was pretty
disappointed when most of the packages I tried to
install failed one after another...  As I said in an
earlier post, yep 3.9 is great but it would be MUCH
cooler if we could install all those cool packages and
not try to figure out why we get a debugger, errors,
etc. most of the time.

> Again, this has not been the task for the release
> team. We could of
> course change that - but I don't think that is
> reasonable.

No, that wouldn't make any sense like you say.  It's
everyone's responsibility to not only develop but
ideally also maintain their own stuff so their
packages are in sync with the newest release as
quickly as possible.