Everything is a distributed object

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Sun Oct 8 21:03:02 UTC 2006

I would never suggest that distributed computing does not work.  In
particular it works much better in a closely located cluster type
configuration as GemStone is typically set up.  I would not want to use
GemStone or any other transparent distribution system over the public
internet or other WAN system.  Also, if the network starts to have
reliability issues GemStone or other transparent systems recover far less
successfully than do explicitly distributed systems.  A system built of
communicating systems can deal with outages and gracefully degrade functions
until the connection is again available.  Transparent systems generally fail
to do this acceptably.

Michael