History and thoughts about "how" we work on the image together

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Oct 9 20:49:11 UTC 2006

I would just like to say that, after having participated in the previous
Stewarding effort to a considerable extent, I'm extremely interested in
experimenting with a more anarchic/distributed process.

In particular what I would like is to have a live system of 'updates'
where anyone with sufficiently high SqP ranking can submit an update
directly into the 'pool' and it is immediately available to everyone
subscribed to the 'pool'.  Then either through automatic or manual means
each 'update' receives votes (the number of votes each person can give
or take away may be based on their SqP ranking).  The idea is then that
someone who wants to live sort of on the edge, but not too close, can
set things up so that they only get automatically get updates that have
a vote of at least X and if they have an update and it's vote drops
below Y (X>Y) then it is automatically removed.

My idea then is that a release team would at some specified time build
an image from this pool of updates based partially on the votes and
partially on manual checking/verification.

Let me stress that this is something I would like to experiment with,
not immediately use for an official release.  I think this system has
possibilities but only something like real-world testing can really
address how well it is likely to work in practice.

Ken