Slang vs. "regular" code

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:02:45 UTC 2006

Say for example that I want to write a simple physics simulation
engine in Squeak, maybe based on Orion Elenzil's (Croquet) cloth
simulation code which is based on Thomas Jakobsen's article "Advanced
Character Physics".  It would be nice if this code ran rather swiftly,
so one alternative would be to aim at writing it in Slang the first
time so that it could easily be compiled into a plugin.

I guess that my first question about this would be "How much slower
(if any) would the interpreted Slang code run that just straight
Smalltalk/Squeak code?"  I am assuming that I would be playing with
the Slang code for a long time before it ever actually gets compiled
to get the speed benefit, and don't really want everything to be
terribly slow during this process.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.