CurlPlugin (call for testing)

danil osipchuk danil at mtsnet.ru
Thu Oct 12 08:07:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:37:30 +0300, Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If we skip the $$, this whole bounty experiment is pointless - please
> send me an email offline so we can co-ordinate payment.  Though IIRC a
> Mac OS X build of the plugin was one of the required deliverables :).

Well, it is not yet completed anyway (lets call it alpha), so I suggest to
postpone this aspect till we have something nearly finished.  Certainly
MacOS build still is a requirement and I didn't forget about it :)

John, could you please take a look at this humble creation for review and
for a MacOS build? I think it has reached the point after which the main
infrastructure will not change dramatically.

I'm compiling recent versions of the plugin against a daily snapshot
http://cool.haxx.se/curl-daily/, particulary this one: September 30, 2006
(because there are bugs being fixed). To get most of it libcurl should be
compiled with c-ares (async DNS lookups) and OpenSSL.
Typical unix-like system will probably already have a stable libcurl
installed, so here is a deployment complication - one needs to put newer
libs (at least the version curl 7.15.5) somewhere in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
before the libs present when starting Squeak.

As far a I know, the main difference between gnu-C and MacOS plugin
versions will be in memory management functions they use (for example
NewPtr instead of malloc). I've tried to abstract this difference into the
CurlPlugin class>>macSpecificDefines using the idea found in the RePlugin.

Cheers,
	Danil