Who adds to MemoryHogs and implements #freeSomeSpace? (re Mantis 5173)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 05:21:24 UTC 2006

Who adds to MemoryHogs and implements #freeSomeSpace?

Hi Georg,

Thanks for the insight.

Can you add this to the Mantis report so it is
recorded there.

I have been looking at the almost 200 unimplemented
calls and trying to suggest appropriate action. Since
I am often delving into areas where I don't know what
I'm doing I expect to get things wrong from time to
time.

Do you know which applications specifically use the
memoryHogs method.
Can you describe how it is supposed to be used?
What might the method #freeSomeSpace look like in
practice?

In another thread:
>Georg Gollmann gollmann at zid.tuwien.ac.at
>Thu Oct 12 08:27:25 UTC 2006
>
>BTW, I just noticed a false positive on the mantis
bug tracking
>system. http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5173
claims:

>> In 7061 (an way previous) the MemoryHogs class var
is always nil or
>> empty.
>> There seems to be no way of registering an object
or a class as a
>> potential Memory Hog. And no class implements
#freeSomeSpace which
>> is the whole idea.
>
>Which misses the SystemDictionary>memoryHogs method
and the fact that
>this is a hook for applications, so it is normal that
there are no
>implementors in the base image.

That figures.
So would it make sense to get rid of the unimplemented
call by making a stub for #freeSomeSpace in say
Object?

Yours in service, --Jerome Peace