Games with Squeak

Hans N Beck hnbeck at t-online.de
Fri Oct 13 14:28:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

Am 13.10.2006 um 14:24 schrieb Lord ZealoN:

> Well, here a question to discuss
>
> ¿What do you think about use Squeak for make professional games? (with
> actual VM or possible future StrongTalk VM)
>
> I'm not talking about something like MineSweeper or Solitarie. I'm
> talking about a game with good graphics to sell. MMORPG (Lineage 2,
> EntropiaUniverse, Life...), RTS (Starwars, Warcraft...), Turn-Based
> Games (UFO, Civilization....)

up-to-date games uses high-level languages for scripting and basic
gameplay. So from the principle, there is no reason why it should not
work with Squeak, if putting some critical stuff in C libraries. But
in practice, it may depend on the kind of game and the exact
requirements.  There is a guy (xbox developer) who plays with Dolphin
smalltalk, see here: http://learningtotalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/
introduction-to-talking.html. See also Croquet (www.opencroquet.org)
DirectX in Squeak may be a problem. I don't know if there is any
package for this. Dolphin and Smalltalk MT have very good bindings to
DirectX and Microsoft APIs in general.

Regards

Hans