Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Yann Monclair yann at monclair.info
Sat Oct 14 23:28:26 UTC 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Benoit St-Jean wrote:

> A decent UI is a UI
> that looks native...  One to which the user can relate
> to.  That looks like a Mac on a Mac, like Windows on
> Windows, etc.
I would replace look by feel. I don't mind the graphical look of the
app on mac, or windows, or linux. To take mac for example, you have
various types of GUIs. Look at iTunes, Mail, Safari (the same is
happening with the new microsoft office look and classic windows
look...) they all have 3 different looks, some are intented to be one-
window-only, others multi-windows ... The common factor to all OSX
apps is the feel, the behavior. command+Q quits my app, command+W
closes the current window. Take command+C, command+V , they work the
same in squeak and my other apps, so squeak integrates (feels) with
the other apps.
The windowing of Squeak can be weird, especially since most window
managers handle windows separately. But I just need to launch Eclipse
to see that problem again in a more "mainstream" technology...

But I was taught programming with Smalltalk, so I'm not really
subjective. I see everything else from a Smalltalk perspective.

Yann