Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Oct 14 23:45:52 UTC 2006

==========================
Actually, if the UI was more attractive, it would not have to be
native. I think there are not too many people complaining about
Firefox not using native widgets.

- Bert -
==========================

Seconded.  No offense to wxSqueak (I am especially looking forward to
the MVP framework), good looking and (far more important) feeling UI
elements do not have to be native.  Morphic is a wonderful simulation
environment; I simply want to see the community use it to simulate a
user friendly interface.  I would _prefer_ that it not be native.

==========================
Am 15.10.2006 um 01:15 schrieb Benoit St-Jean:
> No Edgar, you misunderstood me... A decent UI is a UI
> that looks native... One to which the user can relate
> to. That looks like a Mac on a Mac, like Windows on
> Windows, etc.
==========================

That is one definition of "decent" and I cannot argue with it.  With
that said, I doubt it matters as much as you might think, provided the
widgets are recognizable, not overtly ugly (additional points for being
attractive in some way), and feel/work the way users have come to
expect.

==========================
> Now, regardless of the platform, you get Morphic. I
> personally have nothing against Morphic it's just that
> it bothers a lot of people and really doesn't help
> bringing new people onboard.
==========================

Again, I doubt the way the pixels get on the screen really matters;
otherwise, I agree, especially with the last point.

Edgar, you mentioned Zurgle.  My main complaint with Zurgle is that it
went too far, and that it emulates (IMHO) the ugliest thing ever to be
rendered in pixels.  I would prefer to see something along the lines of
a simplified win2k appearance, and put the extra time into tabbing,
keyboard focus, and other feel considerations.  Those complaints aside,
Zurgle deserves a lot more traction than it has received.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology