[ANN] MessageCapture

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Oct 15 09:49:37 UTC 2006

Am 15.10.2006 um 08:56 schrieb Michael van der Gulik:

> I've been using a class called "MessageCapture" which lets you
> receive messages sent to an object. It's caused me no end of agony
> trying to get it working, so I thought I'd share my agony with the
> community :-P.
>
> Source code here: http://www.squeaksource.com/DPON.html - click on
> "latest", MessageCapture-mvdg.2.mcz.
>
> It's released under the.. umm... MIT license.
>
> Also included is a Future class, which lets you do things like:
>
> result := Future doing: [ some long computation ].
>
> This will return immediately, forking off a process to do the
> computation and replacing "result" with the result when it's finished.
>
> Some of the tests fail. Any hints / tips / guidance is very
> welcome! Especially as to how to capture #== and #class. Those two
> messages are sent by the interpreter even before doing a message
> lookup.

You might want to look at how this is handled in Croquet (MIT
licensed, too). As you know (or maybe not) Croquet is not foremost
about 3D but about distributed computing with capability-based
security. The messaging infrastructure with future sends, returned
promises etc. is independent of the UI.

Now the current implementation does not yet provide water-tight
security, but the principles are there and it's surely worth having a
look.

- Bert -