Roadmap proposal for 3.10/4.0

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Oct 15 10:44:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:40:42 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have been thinking about the next steps. Here are a list of
> propositions for 3.10/4.0 that I would like
> to work on and welcome company. Ideally I would like to build a group of
> people that have fun to work on these items.
> 	- new compile method format if available else klaus fix for source
> limits

Tim, what are your plans with my "inspiration" on source files' limits.

> 	- may be newcompiler if ready

I'm contributing to decompiler as much as I can. But the way I understand
Squeak community is, the new compiler will *not* make it into mainstream.
So it can only be distributed as an optional package, and besides the
package owner's own priorities IMO there is no 3.10/4.0 deadline for the
new compiler.

> 	- look at Pavel overrides problems
> 	=> ideally be able to use Pavel image as a basis for 10/4

After all the mistakes from the past, *not* accepting Pavel's overrides
will only split the community further.

> So if you want to help there on a regular basis or on specific items
> please say it

As said above, I'm working on the new decompiler.

/Klaus