Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sun Oct 15 12:44:50 UTC 2006

Alan,
Reportedly, Yehudi Menuhin got a toy violin when he was a toddler. Angrily,
he trough it away: "It won't sing!". He must later have been given a better
one because he began learning violin seriously at age three. He gave his
first performance as a solo violinist at the age of seven, alongside the
San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.

My point: The word "toy" is often taken as an antonym of "tool". A toy
violin, a toy hammer, a toy knife - all useless and should never be given
to children. Better give them real instruments and tools. A real violin,
even if small. A real hammer. A sharp knife.

Squeak should not be a "toy" that may look like the real thing, but isn't.
(There are many other meanings of "toy", but I am confident many people
share my view when the encounter the word out of context).

My ideal for Squeak is that it should act as a resonance box for the user's
brain; amplifying and augmenting his or her thoughts just as the body of a
violin fills out the performer's intentions.

A good user interface bridges the mismatch between the user's mental model
and the computer's data model.

As in the world of music, Squeak should have many levels. Each should be
carefully specified, designed and implemented. The result should permit all
levels of personal involvement from the equivalent of a gramophone, through
karaoke, to full fledged instruments or even instrument-making.

A musician often plays works composed by other people. This requires a
common musical notation, a language. An orchestra involves many musicians;
their performance coordinated by a maestro. A business needs software that
implements policy, aids communication and supports business processes as
well as individual workers. Most software used "as is" with room for
personal variations everywhere.

IMO, all this makes the applaudable cleanup efforts by Marcus, Stephane,
and many others not only desirable, but essential for all kinds of Squeak
usage (possibly excluding toys that won't sing).

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no
Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
N-0378 Oslo           Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
Norway