Roadmap proposal for 3.10/4.0

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Oct 15 19:04:44 UTC 2006

I don't know what other people think, but these long feature lists just
give me the shivers. What if instead of listing feature X, Y, and Z (on
many of which the implementation hasn't even started) we simply have a
schedule that says:

a) Open discussion: Two months of determining what's ready to go into
the next release. At the end of the that period there should be a list
of things that we'd like to have in the next release.

b) Alpha phase: Two months of "getting stuff in" for those things that
we agreed upon in the first phase. At the end of this phase, any new
feature that isn't in yet, won't get in.

c) Beta phase: Two months of testing, fixing bugs updating the docs and
packages at Squeakmap. At the end of which we have a new release.

Six months, and it should be done. With clear deadlines what is expected
to happen when. With proposals made by the people who have done the work
already. With work that is already finished and only needs inclusion
instead of stuff on which work hasn't even begun yet.

Cheers,
   - Andreas