[ANN] Installer bootstrapping scripts

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 15 21:40:35 UTC 2006

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> I think this may make things a bit easier for publishing projects such
>> as Seaside-Magma-Pier which is fairly complex piece of integration.
>
> What is the difference to MADistribution that is part of Magritte and
> that is used to build the installers of Seaside, Magritte, Pier and
> Pier-UnixSecurity?
>
> Lukas

To explain,

I had not looked at WADistribution before, now that I have I can see
that it serves a different purpose.

 From what I can see WADistribution is the full black box, one button
installer. As always, professional and seemingly comprehensive.

"Installer" is at the other end of the consumer food chain.

Installer is more intended to be an interactive shell in which
'installer' scripts can be published in a readable form, thus being
transparent and accessible to users. The scripts offer the developer an
executable 'how-to' that can be published on a website and run with cut,
paste and doit.

If you look at the use case. WADistribution is a publishing mechanism.
Whereas 'Installer' is a 'subscribing' mechanism. The packages are out
there being developed all over the place, and interactively the
developer chooses to subscribe to them. Doing so through an 'installer'
in a workspace produces an executable script that can be reused and
adapted to new situations. E.g. the move from 3.8 to 3.9 which is what
Installer grew out of.

Now that I know about WADistribution (the input). I may look at
integrating the two more closely.

best regards

Keith