Roadmap proposal for 3.10/4.0

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Mon Oct 16 08:59:00 UTC 2006

Could we please just have a minimal image for v4.0? The current Squeak
images are huge and have lots of stuff I don't want.

I want an image that doesn't have Morphic but just a command line, like
Pavel's kernel image. Everything else should be a separately maintained
project that you can load in - if you want it.

For ease of use, you can also release developer's images with
combinations of packages, but I don't believe that these should be the
official "Squeak 3.10" image.

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have been thinking about the next steps. Here are a list of
> propositions for 3.10/4.0 that I would like
> to work on and welcome company. Ideally I would like to build a group
> of people that have fun to work on these items.
> We could even try to have some regular chats one day a week and FUN.
>
> I think that Squeak 10/4 should not be compatible to free us but at  the
> same time it should prepare the
> coming of new assets (sophie/tweak).
>
> Here are the main actions I would like to see happening:
>
>     - be able to load Tweak

I'm assuming this is just an option, and won't mean ugly things like
Object>>loadTweak.

>     - be able to load Sophie infrastructural elements (ressource
> location...)
>     => even substitute current Squeak ones with sophie ones (Rome renderer)
>
>     - curve/remove Etoy/projects (without having to reload them)
>
>     - remove nebraska and others/ remove packages early in the process
>
>     - new compile method format if available else klaus fix for source
> limits
>
>     - may be newcompiler if ready

Perhaps it is better to include these projects in the release that
happens *after* they are ready.

>     - aggressive cleans in a lot of areas

Yes please!

>     - look at Pavel overrides problems
>     => ideally be able to use Pavel image as a basis for 10/4
>
>     - Use tool builder (looking at the tool plus) and change the
> current  tools
>     (the ones that deserve migration)
>
>     - more tests
>
>     - may be using MC2 if ready
>
>     - better integration of AST and refactoring support

Please make this a loadable option.

Michael.