Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Mon Oct 16 15:48:09 UTC 2006

> >> Doing all through internet, with an explorer, is an error IMHO.
>

> Don't agree, I think that using the internet browser to get
> rich applications interfaces is just the better way to do it.
>
> Such alternative is more and more popular, really I think (as software
> developer) that at this moment have no sense to develop a
> (business) traditional app "a la desktop".
>
> Think in the common user, that is using/operating web 2.0
> apps daily (Google services and a lot of anothers new and
> cool web applicatins), going back to use
> gray-squared-windows....In my opinion is a sort of case as
> when Windows started being common and the users were forced
> to use they old DOS style apps.
>
> Cheers.
> gsa.

I'm a web developer, I love web apps, but I wouldn't want to program in one.
Programmers aren't common users, and the web, even web 2.0, is not a capable
development environment, it's slow, clunky, and still faces browser
compatibility problems and serious security restrictions when run in a
browser.

Web 2.0 is a fad, a new name given to techniques that have existed for
years, and have been used for years, let's not get all caught up and think
it's anywhere near ready to replace the desktop, it isn't.

There are alternatives, that do appear ready, XUL for example.  The FireFox
browser is a fine example of a cross platform development platform that
doesn't use native widgets, is based on XHTML and Javascript, and yet fits
right in, feels nice, and works well on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

But this is a massive undertaking, you can't just say let's replace Squeak's
UI as if it were an easy task.  You can't just pull out Morphic and be done
with it.  These are all revolutionary ideas.  From what I can tell, things
like Squeak tend to grow by evolution, not revolution.

Andreas is right, these big grand plans aren't really that helpful in
getting anything done, let's look at what is done, and do timely releases
every six months only integrating the stuff that's ready.  People are free
to develop anything they want, but let's look only at what's actually "done"
for inclusion into the main image.  Replacing Squeaks UI is just wishful
thinking at this point, it's not even a serious proposal.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com