[OT] Re: Serious Squeak (other "survey")

Jason Yates jaywhy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 21:53:53 UTC 2006

I'm a relative newcomer to the Squeak community, by newcomer I mean a
couple of weeks.  I've procrastinated on learning Smalltalk for
sometime now.  However with Seaside, I got the right nudge pushing me
over the procrastination edge.  Without Seaside I may have never taken
the plunge.  I doubt I am the first one Seaside has pushed or will I
be the last.  So hopefully the Squeak community will take Seaside's
popularity as an opportunity.

I've enjoyed reading people comments.  It seems many good ideas
abound.  In the past week, I've also browsed through the mailing list
archives; and, it seems most of these "issues" have been brought up
before.  As an outsider, the whole community seems stuck on the word
"go".  Maybe a quick fix or at least a slow start, would be to copy
what the Mozilla project is doing for Firefox 3.

http://wiki.mozilla.org./Firefox/Feature_Brainstorming

Getting the community brainstorming, on how to enhance the user
experience in Squeak, is a good thing.

Also a few people have mentioned Squeak being seen as a toy.  In the
end, I don't think it really matters either way.  It is just the wrong
argument.  Improvements to the Squeak UI and Morphic, which are VERY
out of date to current UI standards, will benefit all.  Toy or not.

--
Jason Yates
jaywhy at gmail.com