"slices" of packages (was: A process proposal for 3.10)

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 20:09:09 UTC 2006

Tx colin

I thought that I was the only been so stupid that we get problems
with changes in MC crosscutting several packages.

> I think this last point is what Stéphane was talking about. Squeak
> 3.9 was the first release that tried to do everything  in
> Monticello rather than using change sets. The big problem that came
> up was that most changes were spread across many packages. (This is
> hardly surprising, since the "packages" in the core image are
> pretty much arbitrary and have lots of entanglements and
> dependencies).

Exact!

> This meant that any "update" would involve new versions of many
> packages, which would all have to be downloaded and merged. What
> used to take minutes now takes hours.

Not only we had to be able to identify all the packages introducing a
change because something the changes would break.
because of a load order or just a problem. I think that people should
really try to do something a bit complex with MC that is
not their nicely packaged application but a complex system like
squeak to get the feel of the problem.
Lot of problems showed up because squeak is not nicely packaged.

Stef