Removing Etoys (was Re: A process proposal for 3.10)

Josh Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Wed Oct 18 14:41:47 UTC 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Just for clarification - the m17n code *came* from Squeakland (and
> originally from the Japanese version) and was put into 3.8. Not the
> other way around.

Thanks for the correction.

> About the Tweak Etoys version, as far as I know, nobody is
> currently working on it. It is usable, several people are building
> stuff on top of it, but nobody works on what you could call its
> core. It could be developed further by the community (same as
> Tweak, for that matter), but "waiting for it to happen" is not a
> fruitful strategy. Software does not write itself magically just yet.

I'm not advocating waiting around for Tweak Etoys.  I'm speculating
that removing Etoys from 3.10 will not have a large impact on the
Squeakland community (leaving aside the other distros that you
mentioned).  Of course Tweak Etoys won't magically appear, but
neither will Squeakland magically port itself to 3.10.  I'm simply
saying that, given my understanding of the risks and rewards, it is
more likely that someone will put their energy into Tweak Etoys than
into maintaining Etoys Classic in new Squeak versions.

Juan has volunteered to remove Etoys from 3.10.  My speculations
above are intended solely to evaluate one of the potential costs of
Juan's proposal, namely the cost of "consciously giving up
compatability" with Squeakland.

Josh