Morphic is to MVC as Traits are to Classes (was: Re: Removing Morphic)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Oct 19 04:31:03 UTC 2006

Keith Hodges wrote:
> So you dont like traits much?

Well, I don't know really. I had much hopes for it but the results do
not seem to match my expectations. BTW, just in case you didn't know:
this project started as a discussion between Nathanael and myself, and
to me, although Nathanael solved the harder problem he also solved the
less interesting problem. I'm still looking for more real world examples
but to me it seems as if the biggest problem with traits is that they're
the logical equivalent of C's #include statement. This may sound harsh
but when you think about it, it is very, very similar. And of course
that has some uses for sure, but it often creates more problems than it
solves. In *particular* when it is applied just because it seems like a
good idea in general without having specific reasons for using it.
That's mostly why I reacted to your email, because my instant reaction
was hell, no, you wouldn't want to use traits instead of delegation in
such a situation unless you have to (same goes for subclassing btw).

> a small question though...
>
> How come I get a longer and quicker reply in a rant as a result of one
> sentence in an email to squeak-dev, than I got from two specific
> requests on Tweak mailing list which was dead for months. The first
> dated (26 May) asking for a current update and strategic direction
> progress information, and the second asking what I could do that would
> be of assistance in porting morphic tools to tweak which received no
> replies.

There was a period earlier this year (and I think it was the period you
are describing) where I didn't get email from the Tweak list. Not sure
why this happened but when I sent a test email (let me check ... yeah
that was on June 26th) everything seemed to work (again?). Before the
last message I have is from february. So there were probably some emails
inbetween that I didn't see.

Cheers,
   - Andreas