Removing Morphic

karl karl.ramberg at chello.se
Fri Oct 20 19:46:45 UTC 2006

J J skrev:

>> From: Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>
>> To: Ron at usmedrec.com, The general-purpose Squeak developers
>> list<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>> Subject: Re: Removing Morphic
>> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:33:44 +0100
>>
>> Personally I have never got on with morphic and would much rather see
>> something elegant in its place like Model-View-Presenter as used
>> superlatively in Dolphin.
>>

> This is something I was wondering about.  I was playing with Dolphin
> before squeak (still will for windows things) and I thought the MVP
> concept was a good one.  I haven't had time to dig through all the
> papers, etc. to find out if Morphic is a step backward or forward.
> What I mean by that is;  Multiple inheritance, I would consider a
> technological step back, but traits are a big step forward.
Morphic is a direct manipulation framework. I Self you program the
morphs as you go, instance based, kind of like building your program in
the Inspector.  This is not implemented the same way in Squeak. Morphic
in Squeak is mostly programmed through classes, but you can still
manipulate the Morphs directly in very cool way. Pull things apart etc.
For me Morpic is far more attractive than MVC. That does not mean I
thinks it perfect.
There is lot of room for improvements. But I also think the look of the
SystemWindows are a quite secondary concern for me.
Karl