Removing Morphic

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Oct 21 05:26:08 UTC 2006

Hi Ron -

Couple of comments:
> I don't know either.  For me Morphic IS EToys.  For others Morphic IS
> toolBuilder.  For me Tweak is Croquet.  It appears that for others Tweak is
> dead and too slow, (but that seems very short sighted since if Tweak IS
> Croquet then there is major development going on which we could all benefit
> from)

I agree that the best way to look at Tweak is in the context of Croquet.

> I asked the questions which no one wants to answer.  Can Tweak be
> ToolBuilder?

Not sure what you mean by "being" ToolBuilder. Tweak does support
ToolBuilder, yes (it has from the very beginning).

> How difficult would it be to redo the tools in Tweak?

I did the PlusTools as an experiment to see how hard it would be and it
turns out that it's not terribly hard but it's also nothing you could do
over a weekend.

> Can we integrate Tweak and will Andreas support it in Squeak?

There are two answers to that: For one thing, I have already been
supporting it for a couple of years in Squeak 3.6 and 3.8. On the other
hand, no single person can single-handedly provide support for the whole
Squeak community. The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle.

> Can we integrate some of the Croquet functionality?

Actually, this will be a requirement in the not too distant future.
Supporting Tweak outside of Croquet is simply too much of an effort for
me. Which means that if you want Tweak you'll need islands, future
messages, and event-loop concurrency (replication may remain optional
though). Those will execute on top of the Croquet Metaclass kernel which
will make it a nicely self-contained package that has barely any
entanglements with other parts of Squeak.

> If EToys is too enmeshed with Morphic
> and Tweak is clean shouldn't we adopt Tweak as a way of cleaning up (wasn't
> that the whole goal of tweak?)  Can we leave both and transition to Tweak?

The goal of Tweak wasn't to "clean up Morphic" simply because
architecturally there isn't anything to clean up. Morphic is Morphic
both the good and the bad. It chooses one set of tradeoffs which are
perfectly reasonable in itself. Tweak chooses another set of tradeoffs
and those come with the good and the bad, too.

Cheers,
   - Andreas