Using Squeak on iPaq 4150

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Sun Oct 22 06:56:09 UTC 2006

Hola,

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Lord ZealoN wrote:

> I got  SqueakLight.406 from ftp://squeak.cobss.ch/pub/SqueakLight/

There are other images. I included some links to some- go back and read
my posts about Squeak on the Nokia 770. The Nokia 770 is a Linux-based
PDA/internet tablet with a slower CPU, only 220 MHz.

You'd be surprised, and how fast- and capable- an older Squeak image is on
a PDA in Morphic.

> The first problem is the space. In a pocketpc 30MB (10MB squeaklight,
> 15MB sources) is a lot of space on storage, and RAM.

Ditch the sources. I've never bothered to use a sources file when coding
or using an app on a PDA. Frankly, I've not missed it. You don't get
comments, but Squeak does a pretty good job of making me never notice. I
wrote about 60% of the code I wrote for Dynapad on the PDA itself and it
never got to me once. Mind you, I was working with a device with only 16
MB of RAM, though all files were on a CF card.  While I've used images as
big as 30 MB on various PDAs, I reccomend sticking to images 10 MB or
less, including what apps you want to run, on a CE PDA like you are using.

> Then, is needed to change the systems fonts, etc...to take a good look
> in the little screen. And then, we need to change something to the
> browsers looks good in the 320x200 screen (on PDA with QVGA screens,
> 640x480 on VGA screens)

I recommend the Lucy font. I use it when using any device with a small
screen and low res, like your PDA. I don't bother on similar devices with
VGA screens, where you just can use any old font at 12-16 pt. When I use a
QVGA Device with Squeak, Lucy is the font I use for most things, window
titles excepted.

Heh, I googled this wondering if it was still findable via Google. Sure
enough, it's on SqueakMap even. But was surprised me is that I am the
owner, and it's in my webspace. I mean, I just completely forgot about
this. Anyway, it's a great font to these kinds of devices.

Regards,
Aaron

revaaron at bitquabit.com || rev in #squeak on irc.freenode.net
   "Liberty will not descend to a people, a people must
         raise themselves to Liberty." -- Emma Goldman