[ANN] KernelImage Monticello repository with Comanche and Seaside

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Mon Oct 23 20:11:14 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:
> Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> > Prepared image:
> > http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/98/KernelImage-MC-7061c.zip
>
> Using this image, and the instructions I found on your
> site, I was able to get a Seaside image up and running,
> with the web-based class browser (about 6Mb image).
>
> One problem I had was with:
>
> > Use external files for long scripts, current console cannot process
> > multiline commands.
>
> I wasn't sure what syntax to use in the script file.
> The script was run using:
>
>      (FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: 'doit.st') fileIn.
>
> So I wasn't sure where I needed to put '!' characters.
> Turns out that any sequence of Smalltalk statements
> seems to work for now.

If your script is short, you need no exclamation marks. Exclamation
marks determine parts that are evaluated at once.

> I did have a problem using #ifError:, in the manner
> shown in the examples. I kept getting syntax errors,
> so I just skipped the #ifError: part.

You will get syntax errors if your command are longer than single line
so try to use wider window.

> I had a problem with Character>>codePoint. The method
> is listed in the browser, but when selected, there's
> no code. So I just used copy&paste from another image
> to redefine the method. #codePoint was needed to run
> postgres.

This method was deleted automatically as unused. The reason why it is
still visible in the browser is because the categorizers need to be
updated. Thank you for the hint.

> I was able to load the PostgreSQL Client and manually
> query a database for timenow(), but the test suite would
> not run correctly. I got a recurring console message:

You have to use the error handling to see more.

> -----
> *** EXCEPTION ***
> UnhandledError
> an OrderedCollection(ConsoleUIManager>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction:
> UnhandledError>>defaultAction UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
> UnhandledError(Exception)>>signal UnhandledError
> class>>signalForException: MessageNotUnderstood(Error)>>defaultAction
> UndefinedObject>>handleSignal: MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: Message>>sentTo:
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: Message>>sentTo:
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: Message>>sentTo:
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: Message>>sentTo:
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: Message>>sentTo:
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: Message>>sentTo:)
> -----
> I closed the image, instead of letting it continue looping.
>
> Thanks for all this great work, and I hope it becomes
> the starting point for a Squeak 4.0.

Look at [KernelImageOverride] issues on Mantis and it may be very soon ;-)

-- Pavel