Image as database (was: Re: Minnow WIKI Migration)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Oct 24 19:17:55 UTC 2006

Am 24.10.2006 um 21:04 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

> Having no permanent storage (save image doesn't count) is just plain
> stupid and therefore is unsuited for real deployment. But this has
> nothing to do with holding the whole data in the image. You can save a
> page to the filesystem when it was edited or created and still have it
> in the image. Pier has hooks for this since before it was called Pier.
>
> Having all the data in RAM scales the same way as having all the data
> on disk. Linearly. IIRC Google can hold almost the entire web in RAM.
> So there is virtually no limit to that. I know this is not clever. I
> just say it is possible and the cost is not excessive (holding Minnow
> in RAM, not the web).

I thought we were having a serious discussion, and not just pointing
fingers at RAM prices. Or pointing to non-existent VM technology, as
you did in another thread.

I stand by my assessment that holding *everything* including all
versions of all pages and also all uploaded files in RAM is just
plain stupid.

- Bert -