open process issues

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 24 20:31:09 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> writes:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
> > So here's a challenge for you, board: how do we get fixes processed?
> > All the really cool Squeak stuff happens at the periphery [3].  The
> > question for the board is thus: how do we handle the simple, prosaic
> > patches?
>
>  From my point of view there is a really simple answer to that
> question: By delegating them to the maintainers. And if they aren't
> any, it won't get fixed. It's as simple as that. After all you can
> always volunteer for the maintainer position and if, and ONLY if, you
> get turned down you have something to complain about. In other words,
> I do accept your complaint about Unix code since we have a maintainer
> there and we should figure out what's going wrong. I do NOT accept the
> complaint about SharedQueue unless you are willing to sign up for the
> job of maintaining Collections or at least the part of it you were
> just working on.

I like your approach.  Let the individual maintainers, or stewards as
called in some proposals, make these decisions.

As is, I do not think there is an official list of
maintainers/stewards that is actually paid attention to.  Am I wrong?
The idea seems to circulate, but never become official in any way.

-Lex