[ANN] Installer bootstrapping scripts

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 25 23:40:54 UTC 2006

Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I think a simple answer may be that Installer makes no attempt to
> manage/resolve or otherwise handle dependencies.
>
> My aim is to put the control in the hands of the user through
> readability and the ability to interact with the script in the
> workspace.
>
> My expectation being that once I have made an installation script
> which works including all the components that I want/need. (i.e. I
> manage the dependencies) Then I can share this in a way that is
> useable by others and they can see exactly what I have done and the
> order in which I have done it.
>
> does this answer the question?

Package universes, like many Linux distributions, lets you post a
package that simply depends on other packages.  So, you can post a
package "Keith's Favorites" that depends on a list of other packages
to install.

The user then installs "Keith's Favorites" just as if it were a normal
package.  The package tool will select the latest available [1] version of
all the packages "Keith's Favorites" depends on.

So the question is, do you need anything more for installation
scripts, than the above?  I thought maybe you were working on
dependencies, but you say no.

-Lex

[1] Available, that is, within the package universe the image in
question is working in.