3.9 underscore still there?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:00:41 UTC 2006

"Bill Schwab" <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> writes:
> My interest in underscores is mostly to enable them to appear within
> selectors.  There is a fix for underscores at all but the first slot
> (which almost completely fixes the problem for me), and I would like to
> see it in the mainstream image if we can't fix the real problem.  I had
> hoped that the fix would no longer be needed courtesy of m17n, but that
> appears not to have happened yet.

There is a lot of legacy code not even in the image that uses
underscore for assignment.  Please allow this code to keep working.
We should not break massive amounts of code just for legacy reasons.
At the very very least, allow such legacy code to file in.

If you or anyone have a parsing hack you would like to try, e.g. to
allow it in identifiers while still allowing it for assignment, a
great sample set would be the 3.7 stable universe.  This is 200
packages worth of Squeak content, quite a lot of which uses _ for
assignment.  If your idea works there without breaking anything, then
it is probably okay.

The download is here:

    http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3835

-Lex