Squeak is a social community

Howard Stearns hstearns at wisc.edu
Sun Oct 29 14:13:15 UTC 2006

True, but missing my point (and Lex's, I think, which is certainly
not the only way to look at it).  The platform-as-party view is that
different platforms (or languages or projects) can be thought of
simply as a group of people -- not what the people do with the platform.

Think of a political party, or the group of fans of one sports team
vs another. There may be values, intentions, or practices that set
one group from another, but quite often there isn't. Or maybe they're
not consistent. While some folks hook up with one group or another
because of values and such, many are just born into it. Maybe there
was a cute girl. Or someone impressed you as really knowing what they
were doing and they turned out to be a Squeaker. Sometimes the
reasons that things happen is subtle. Sometimes there isn't a reason
at all.  [The mathematician Gregory Chaitin is considered the heir to
Goedel. He is noted for proving that some things (in mathematics) are
not true for a particular reason -- they just are.  As a (randomly?)
triple apropos example of my point, I only became acquainted with
Chaitin because he uses the count of characters in Lisp source code
as an inverse measure of a computation's elegance. I thought that was
cool, and had some correspondence with the guy, which made me a fan.
Probably more than would be warranted by the math. Cult of
personality happens. Kuhn happens.]

All of which is very touchy-feely and interesting and all, but what's
the value? As much as I hate the idea that people devote so much of
their lives to subtle and sometimes arbitrary choices of clique, it
is a fact. We can either ignore this disagreeable truth and flail, or
we can try to incorporate it into our thinking.

[Make's no difference to me. I'm just watching and sharing. Your
mileage may vary.]

Again, Kent's description is at http://www.nhplace.com/kent/PS/
Lambda.html
It's pretty short, and he writes better than I do.

-H