Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends

Juan Vuletich jvuletich at dc.uba.ar
Tue Oct 31 01:50:00 UTC 2006

Hi Goran!

goran at krampe.se escribió:
> Hi Juan and all!
>
> I just want to say I am 100% with you on all this.

Thanks. It's nice to know that.
> Could you possibly (as you probably know Morphic/eToys better than most
> of us) list the parts that we could "decide" about leaving in or ripping
> out? Lex started a list, but he also included some things that I had not
> thought were included (like ImageSegment for example).

To me eToys what you can find in the eToys package. That's why I put it
there!

Going thru Lex's list. (Lex, I didn't answer to your post because I
think the list should be built by the community, and I didn't want to
sound authoritative on this!)
- Tile based programming system. Yes. The central part of eToys.
- Halos. No. Halos are key to Morphic.
- Named morph search. No. I'd put this in 'MorphicExtras'.
- Uniclasses. Yes. They were implemented in Squeak to support eToys. And
they are not Smalltalky to me. However, 'make own subclass' is not
eTtoys, and distinct from uniclasses to me.
- SmartRefStream and ImageSegments. No! Why would they?
- Projects and saving projects. No.
- Paint tool. No.
- Flaps. No.

Anyway, I don't want to say what should be removed and what should not.
But clearly in my reduced 3.7 image, I removed lots of stuff besides eToys.
Let me repeat: To me eToys what it is in the eToys package.
> I think it would be a nice way forward in this discussion.
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. This subject came up around an OOPSLA hacking table with Dan present
> - he also remarked that Morphic is indeed quite small - if you consider
> only Morphic itself.
:)
> But we did not discuss the issue at any great
> length. Also Doug applied your recipe to have a look at the result etc.

Doug, I'd like to know what were your impressions on this!
> We never got around to any personal conclusions, though. But I for one
> applaud and greatly appreciate your diligence in this matter and I think
> it would be GREAT to have a small "isolated" clean Morphic in Squeak
> that is maintained and proven. And I am probably not alone in that.

Well, I hope you're interested in my Morphic 3.0 project then. It is my
vision for morphic improvement. Check www.jvuletich.org !

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich