I am standing by Juan's proposal, do you? (was Re: Removing Etoys, Morphic and other friends)

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Tue Oct 31 14:59:55 UTC 2006

goran at krampe.se wrote:
>> This is a plan that is practical and which I fully support: if we can
>> unload eToys but not load it back, then let's just include eToys in the
>> full image that we distribute and allow everyone the one way option of
>> removing it. I don't mind at all eliminating the Flash logo, the welcome
>> windows and other stuff every time I begin working with a newly
>> downloaded image. The fact that I can't get any of these easily back if
>> I want has never been a problem since I could just start over from a
>> clean image.
>>
>> Sure, a reloadable eToys would be even better but I doubt it will
>> happen.
>
> My problem with that proposal is that it means that Morphic is actually
> not cleaned up - it would just persist as it is today.

as I see it, my problem with *your* proposal is that we need to dump
eToys in order to gain a cleaned-up Morphic.

to me "code cleanup" does not mean that any functionality is lost. only
that the code is cleaned up. maybe I am too simple-minded :)

so your proposal is to kill etoys, which currently work just fine and is
used by many people, for the only reason that it does not seem to be
easy to clean it up. we had "if it's not broken, don't fix it", now it
seems we have "if it's not broken but ugly, then just kill it".

this is utter nonsense. I just don't understand where we are going here.
   why destroy Squeak ?

Stef