Thoughts from an outsider

Rich Warren rwmlist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 02:00:39 UTC 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 2:45 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Now that I don't think I can agree with entirely. Yes, for ordinary
> usage using host style is beneficial. For enhanced UI designs I'm
> going to assert (because I'm a big bossy noisy person with no mild
> opinions) that you really need to almost forget whatever your host
> OS does because they are *all* crap. Every one of them. All of them
> have some good points, and all of them have many more bad. Don't
> get me started on menubars. Really. If it were possible to write
> down the most suitable curses about menubars in the original
> pictograms, the baked clay would melt.

True enough. But at least I've come to terms with the Mac UI. I know
how to use it efficiently.

So, why should I trade one bad UI (which I happen to know how to use)
for another (which I don't know how to use). To use both interfaces,
I'm forced to become proficient in two different systems--and I'm
forced to mentally jump back and forth between the two systems as I
work. That just doesn't seem like a good use of anyone's brain-cycles.

I'll check out wxSqueak. I've only heard about it in relation to the
upcoming 3.9 release, can it run on 3.8 too?

-Rich-