VM build problem: sqInt?

Jay Hardesty jayh at panix.com
Sun Sep 3 22:55:51 UTC 2006

THANKS for all the pointers - I started from scratch, fetched the latest
everything, deleted the flag function in LargeIntegers, and recompiled.
However still getting the fetchWordofObject error below.

I was careful to make sure there's no src vs. src32 directory confusion,
and my interp.c says:
/* This file has been post-processed for GNU C */

/* Automatically generated from Squeak on #(3 September 2006 5:28:44 pm)
by VMMaker 3.8b6
  */

The  only change I made to the xcode project was to uncheck "ppc" as a
target (since I don't need ppc, and in any case my machine didn't
come with
the required MacOSX10.2.8.sdk).

BUT if if simply comment out fetchWordOfObject the VM compiles and
seems to run OK.

tinyBenchmarks reports (for an optimized build):
'606635071 bytecodes/sec; 13344127 sends/sec' on a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro.
Whereas I get
'609161213 bytecodes/sec; 13392546 sends/sec' for Squeak
3.8.12beta5U.app.

So I guess the newly built VM is in the ballpark, if slightly slower.

Thanks once again very much for all the help - let me know if there's
any useful
info I can provide you with regarding my setup and the
fetchWordofObject problem
(though it doesn't seem to be causing a problem - as far as I can
tell - once it's
commented out).

Your fan,
Jay