The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Jay Hardesty jayh at panix.com
Mon Sep 4 02:14:31 UTC 2006

I know this thread is a bit stale now, but didn't see what the
likely conclusion of this issue is meant to be

I see that 3.9 (7055) displays underscores - I installed the Shout
package (to get syntax highlighting back) and see that there is
a preference for underscore vs :=.  Is it the idea that the appearance
of the left arrow will eventually be built into the code editor, and for
the interim those who prefer left-arrow should use bear with the
underscore actually appearing in code?

Would like to vote that that the the elegance, and combined
millennia's worth of neural wiring among smalltalkers who've become
accustomed to the left-assignment key far outweighs the danger
of off-putting newbies.

If it's too difficult to work it into 3.9 for technical reasons, then no
complaints there (especially since I'm not volunteering to make it
happen) - just don't think that purported "confusion" is a good
reason to
deny use of left-arrow as an option.  I strongly disagree with the
idea that
having Paragraph editor "magically" display one or the other is somehow
a bad thing.  Just my $0.02.

Jay