Thoughts from an outsider

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 4 10:13:34 UTC 2006

>From: Rich Warren <rwmlist at gmail.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Thoughts from an outsider
>Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:25:18 -1000
>
>I'm not sure what this has to do with isolation from the rest of the
>desktop. Let me be clear, I wasn't talking about developing/coding  issues,
>I was talking about using the UI.
>
>While I'm coding, I inevitably need to check my e-mail, browse web  pages,
>whatever (as research, of course--I'm not just playing  around). I want to
>use those (and other tools) on my mac. Having the  Squeak UI isolated from
>my OS UI makes rapid shuffling between  browser windows and native OS tools
>more difficult than is absolutely  necessary (at least for the way I
>typically work).
>
>Also, having a separate UI means I need to learn two UIs. I have to
>constantly shift between the UIs. I have to maintain separate mental  lists
>of efficiency tips for each UI. I have to remember which  keystrokes go
>with which environment. Again, more work than is  strictly necessary.
>
>-Rich-

Well what I meant was working in a smalltalk environment is like
developing your next app from within the app you are building.
So I think you would feel the same isolation if you could develop
from inside of your web browser for example.

But as far as wishing the tools that exist in the image behaved like
your normal GUI, can something be done with themes?  Is anyone
looking into making themes or something like that be set up in such
a way that I could set them to "Mac" and now my image behaves
like a mac or "WinXP" and now it behaves like XP?