literate programming examples (Re: Thoughts from an outsider)

Ramon Leon ramonleon at cox.net
Tue Sep 5 02:06:24 UTC 2006

> 2. ruby. http://www.ruby-doc.org/core and http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib
> present current, accessible API docs and also higher level docs with
> very little fuss. These are generated from extensive code comments,
> READMEs, etc. (Many other languages do this but less effectively.)

I can't help but point out how much Ruby's doc's are just imitations of
a Smalltalk class browser.  How exactly is this better than class and
method comments in Smalltalk directly?  How is dandelion better than a
real browser either?  If you can generate the docs from the code, of
what additional value is the doc?