Thoughts from an outsider

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 10:08:36 UTC 2006

>From: Rich Warren <rwmlist at gmail.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Thoughts from an outsider
>Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:44:44 -1000
>
>Just to bring this full circle. Now that I've been using Squeak for a
>while, I've grown used to it's UI. I find that using QuickSilver, I  can
>still pop out of a full-screen Squeak session with just a few  keystrokes,
>check the email message that relates to the problem at  hand, do a little
>web research on the topic, then slip right back  into Squeak. But this
>involved bending my normal workflow around  Squeak (where, ideally, Squeak
>would just slip transparently into my  regular workflow).  Even if
>Visualworks was running on intel macs, I  would probably keep coding in
>Squeak. However, the UI was a real  barrier to entry, and it can drive off
>new users (which was my  original point).
>
>-Rich-

Well then, I reassert my previous question:  Is it possible for someone to
do something with themes?  Is there a way to have "WinXP" theme, "Mac"
theme,
"Smalltalk-80" and "Squeak" themes that change everything to behave how one
would expect in those environments?  And maybe by default the theme is
selected
based on the platform?