scripts in squeak

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Wed Sep 6 12:24:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am using Squeak on Debian GNU/Linux.

Isn't SCRIPTS sections inside the manual page out of date? Maybe
elsewhere (or in different times) it had sense. It seems to be positive,
but now it is misleading.

Perhaps something like this
Squeak can be used for scripting as well. (Almost) simple script could
look somehow as follows:

	(FileStream fileNamed: '/dev/stdout')
		nextPutAll: 'Hello, world';
		nextPut: Character lf.

	SmalltalkImage current snapshot: false andQuit: true.

If the above script is placed in /tmp/hello.st, it can be run as follows

	squeak -vm display=null -vm sound=null $SQUEAK_IMAGE file:///tmp/hello.st
It is not that nice as the original text but in these days I think more
up to date. Should I make such changes in the Squeak packages for
Debian? Shouldn't they be made for other UNIX clones? Can someone
propose better replacement?

Regards
--
Matej Kosik