Pending Mac Carbon VM 3.8.12beta6U (multi-button mouse support)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 6 12:59:18 UTC 2006

John M McIntosh schrieb:
> Mr Rainer Keller asked me: "If I use the same mouse and the same image
> file on a PC and on a Mac then the middle and the right mouse button are
> swapped. So if I am using the same image at work ... and at home ... I
> always have to go to preferences and change the "toggle mouse button"
> preference even if I am using the same mouse on both machines"
>
> Fine, ask teenager for his scroll mouse, mutter about how I've ignored
> this issue. A bit of coding...
>
> 3.8.12beta6U about to ship, people who are really desperate can email me
> (not the list) for a copy to test with before I distribute widely.
>
> info.plist entries
>
>     <key>SqueakUse2ButtonOrWindowsScrollMouse</key>
>     <false/>
>     <key>SqueakUse3ButtonColoredMouse</key>
>     <false/>
>
> SqueakUse2ButtonOrWindowsScrollMouse  - Set to true if you have one of
> funky 3 button windows mice with two buttons and clickable scroll wheel
> nub.
> SqueakUse3ButtonColoredMouse - Set to true if you have a traditional 3
> button colored smalltalk mouse, or white hair in your beard.
>
> if both settings are false then you'll get  I hope same behaviour as
> historical mac VM using the one button mouse/trackpad or any flavor of
> multi-button mouse.

Uh, actually, Windows VM gets it wrong by default - anyway there is a
preference to fix it on Windows, so I very much appreciate a preference
on Mac, too. However ... what's the difference of the options above? And
couldn't you leave "Windows" out of the name? It's a piece of hardware,
after all.

- Bert -