Info on Smalltalk DSLs or Metaprogramming...

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Sep 6 22:14:39 UTC 2006

> Maybe.  Or maybe this is momentum which will fade in time if
> it isn't turned into something else.  Seaside is bringing
> them here, that is 100% right.  But how many are looking
> around at all the cool things in the 3.8 image but can't get
> anything to work and can't find documentation to do anything?

I prefer to be an optimist, I've been studying and learning Smalltalk for
about 3 years now, and I've seen nothing but growth in the community. I have
no reason to fear that will change.

> At some point the other languages will have seaside
> completely duplicated.

Not likely, if it were so easy to do, Smalltalk wouldn't have been chosen as
the implementation language.  I believe Ruby was Avi's initial choice, but
he ran into problems with it's continuations (I could be wrong).  And most
languages don't even have continuations, they aren't suitable to do this.

> If you haven't
> gotten a permanent increase in body count by the time that
> happens then your chance is over until the Avi, Lukas and
> co. come up with the next killer app.

Smalltalk has nothing to fear from other languages, seriously, they can't be
everything Smalltalk is without becoming Smalltalk, and none of them are
even close at the moment.  Smalltalk is much more than just a language, it's
an environment, something those other languages haven't figured out yet,
Lisp excluded.