Pending Mac Carbon VM 3.8.12beta6U (multi-button mouse support)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Sep 7 05:34:03 UTC 2006

Ok, well I was offering up three behaviours.

a) the original mac one button mouse behaviour and how it interacts
now with multiple mice.
b) the broken window behaviour, I mean could change the info.plist
key to brokenWindowsBehaviour if people want.
c) the 3 button color mouse behavior (which is the unbroken windows
behaviour?)

really I guess the questions is more what should it do?

On 6-Sep-06, at 5:59 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> John M McIntosh schrieb:
>> Mr Rainer Keller asked me: "If I use the same mouse and the same
>> image file on a PC and on a Mac then the middle and the right
>> mouse button are swapped. So if I am using the same image at
>> work ... and at home ... I always have to go to preferences and
>> change the "toggle mouse button" preference even if I am using the
>> same mouse on both machines"
>> Fine, ask teenager for his scroll mouse, mutter about how I've
>> ignored this issue. A bit of coding...
>> 3.8.12beta6U about to ship, people who are really desperate can
>> email me (not the list) for a copy to test with before I
>> distribute widely.
>> info.plist entries
>>     <key>SqueakUse2ButtonOrWindowsScrollMouse</key>
>>     <false/>
>>     <key>SqueakUse3ButtonColoredMouse</key>
>>     <false/>
>> SqueakUse2ButtonOrWindowsScrollMouse  - Set to true if you have
>> one of funky 3 button windows mice with two buttons and clickable
>> scroll wheel nub.
>> SqueakUse3ButtonColoredMouse - Set to true if you have a
>> traditional 3 button colored smalltalk mouse, or white hair in
>> your beard.
>> if both settings are false then you'll get  I hope same behaviour
>> as historical mac VM using the one button mouse/trackpad or any
>> flavor of multi-button mouse.
>
> Uh, actually, Windows VM gets it wrong by default - anyway there is
> a preference to fix it on Windows, so I very much appreciate a
> preference on Mac, too. However ... what's the difference of the
> options above? And couldn't you leave "Windows" out of the name?
> It's a piece of hardware, after all.
>
> - Bert -

===