3.9 Oddities

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Sep 7 21:18:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:11:34AM -1000, Rich Warren wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:26 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:09:27PM -1000, Rich Warren wrote:
> >
> >Many people, myself included, prefer not to have Squeak do the
> >automatic
> >line end conversion. But it's largely a matter of personal preference,
> >so give CrLfFileStream a try if you prefer that approach.
>
> This is what I'm struggling to understand. What possible benefit is
> there in not converting line ends? Can you give me an example where
> converting the line ends would cause a problem?

I didn't say there was a problem. I said that this is my own
personal preference. Which it is.

As for an example, if I want to look at a file and see if it
should have <lf> removed, it's harder to do if the tools disguise
the line terminators. As a matter of fact, many of the junk characters
that you are seeing in Squeak crept in precisely because of people
using automatic line conversion, and not noticing that the real
contents of some file was incorrectly formatted. So I guess that
you could count that as a problem. But really, it's just a matter
of preference, so try using CrLfFileStream if you prefer that approach.

> Here's my view. Back in the dark ages, moving text files from one
> system to another was a nightmare.

I guess if we were out of the dark ages, we would not still be
using files.

Dave