3.9 Oddities

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Sep 9 18:01:33 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge wrote:
>> Because I was the only non-Mac user in an otherwise 100% Mac
>> environment ;-)
> Interesting - so the problems faced by all the unix and windows users
> weren't thought important. Tut-tut.

No tut-tut. Remember, we weren't vendors. You have to look at this (and
other decisions) in relation to the big fish we were trying to fry
(which was NOT to build a "free Smalltalk" even though that's what it
unfortunately degenerated to).

>> And for some of these things I just couldn't convince the gang that
>> it's worthwhile (otherwise we would have also switched the yellow/blue
>> button definitions
> Never! The *only* machines that had a sensible mouse as standard along
> with a reasonable and compatible button usage were RISC OS ones.

Well, these days the standard is pretty obvious:
   Windows: Right button operates the context menu
   MacOSX: Right button operates the context menu
   Gnome: Right button operates the context menu
Do you see a pattern?

> Just look at FileStream. I mean, really. The class comment is a
> disgrace. And then 'StandardFileStream' - standard how? And why are
> assorted font readers implemented as subclasses of CrLfFileStream?  And
> HTMLFileStream?  Euch.

Euch indeed.

Cheers,
   - Andreas