3.9 Oddities

Rich Warren rwmlist at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 20:00:58 UTC 2006

On Sep 10, 2006, at 4:14 AM, Laurence Rozier wrote:

> SqueakCommunity activate: #enlightenedSelfInterest.

> On 9/10/06, Rich Warren <rwmlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2006, at 4:14 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > So after all of this energetic opinionating, have you bothered to
> > take the time to enable CrLfFileStream in your own image?
> > It will
> > take you about 20 keystrokes, which could doubtless be improved, but
> > is still considerably less that it took me to to compose this note.
>
> No.
>
> But there's a logical reason (or at least, a reason that seemed
> logical within the confines of my own mind).
>
> Since you appear somewhat invested in Squeak, you will likely want
> to explore 3.9 and since this may not get resolved to your liking,
> knowing whether enabling CrLfFileStream is workable would seem to
> be valuable. If so, 20 keystrokes is a small price to pay.

Oh, it's not the 20 keystrokes that worries me. It's the risk of
putting my system into an unstable state--particularly a state that
may not be immediately obvious, but may lurk in the background and
leap out at the worst possible time--for example, when I'm demoing
the code for my advisor.

So, to use it as a production system, I would need to test it. Really
run it through it's paces. And I don't have time for that right now.
It's easier to either a) grit my teeth and ignore the boxes or b) go
back to 3.8.

However, I just wanted to say that I really do appreciate all the
work everyone's done on Squeak, and I didn't ever mean to criticize
the people or the effort behind this project. I have a tendency to
criticize things in direct proportion to how much I like them. If
something's crap, I just won't bother. But if I feel it's really
close but just not quite right, I tend to really get excitable.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

-Rich-