3.9 Oddities

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 10 20:55:31 UTC 2006

On 9 sept. 06, at 20:01, Andreas Raab wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>> Because I was the only non-Mac user in an otherwise 100% Mac
>>> environment ;-)
>> Interesting - so the problems faced by all the unix and windows
>> users weren't thought important. Tut-tut.
>
> No tut-tut. Remember, we weren't vendors. You have to look at this
> (and other decisions) in relation to the big fish we were trying to
> fry (which was NOT to build a "free Smalltalk" even though that's
> what it unfortunately degenerated to).

I'm not sure Squeak is degenerating.  At least to my perspective it
is getting a system with which people will be able to develop what
they want without having to patch and rewrite all the system. Our
maybe naive assumptions is that with a cleaner system we can invent
new worlds more rapidly and this is what we want to help creating.

Stef