Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 01:33:21 UTC 2006

Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

It is of limited use as implemented.

When enabled the only thing that gets a mouse over
halo is a sketch morph owned by the current world.
Nothing else seems to notice the option.

There is a lot of code that supports deciding
(against) using mouse over halos even when they are
enabled. I realize they must have seemed like a good
idea at the time they were implemented but right now
it seems to me they just add to the clutter. I think
they ought to either find a champion to justify their
existance or go away.

The reason is to make squeak more maintainable.
Theortically each combination of squeak preferences
needs to be tested to insure everything works. In
practice gammas are pushed out w/o the impractically
large number of tests being tried. Because the squeak
development community lacks the resources to test or
fix the large number of bugs that would be found.

This is BAD.

And it cannot be fixed all at once.

However steps can be taken in the right direction to
restructure and simplify what must be maintained.

Identifing and eliminating unneeded options and
behavior is one such step. And the first steps are the
biggest savings. Each preference eliminated halves the
necessary tests and maintainence tasks.

So can we eliminate this from squeak and make it more
maintainable?

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace

P.S.
I have put this up as a mantis report: