MS Font gives Square box glyphs in TextMorphs: why?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Sep 11 18:05:45 UTC 2006

Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> I see the solution to the 1 asCharacter issue is to remove the printing of
> the box for this unprintable character.  This is not consistent with other
> non printable characters.

It is consistent. Like I wrote before, Character value: 1 is used to
indicate a variable space for displaying an embedded morph, just like
Character value: 9 is used to indicate a tab space and Character value:
13 is used to indicate a line break. All of these are interpreted white
space characters, for none of which we want to see a glyph.

Cheers,
   - Andreas