Some camparisons between squeak versions.

Bakki Kudva bakki.kudva at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:42:35 UTC 2006

[Newbie Perspective]

Dan, this is your first post I've seen since I've been on the list
which is only a few months, but have seen your very illuminating
video.Tthe post feels like a great 'homework assignment' to a newbie.
Please post more as your time permits. Thanks a lot,

That said...

On 9/12/06, Dan Ingalls <Dan at squeakland.org> wrote:
MethodContext, and for that, I believe you will find that printing the result of
>         'Smalltalk garbageCollect.  MethodContext instanceCount'

When I print this is the workspace of a newly launched Squeak I am
getting something like 20,873.  In what circumstance do you see 115
contexts? How come I have so many more?

> should give you results that are close to the number of contexts in the basic image, and that are reasonably comparable from one image to the next.  In 3.8, I get 119, and in 3.9, I get 115(*), but note that frequently the results are a bit higher, presumably because of processes that run at a higher priority during the enumeration.  You could have fun running this at the highest priority to check, but you probably know things that are even more fun to do.

> Hope this helps
>
>         - Dan
>
> (*) If you're wondering what these hundred or so contexts are about, looking at the suspended processes in the ProcessBrowser should be illuminating.

I had not even opened the proecess browser till now!
My process browser says:
(80) 3400: the timer interrrupt watcher
(60) 3253: the event tickler
(60) 3837: the user interrupt watcher
(60) 2532: the low sapce watcher
(50) 1497: the WeakArray finalization process
(40) 3184: the UI process
(10)     53: the idle process

Can some one please explain to me what the numbers mean? Thank you,

bakki